Wednesday 12 August 2009

I'm not afraid of malaria

Nope... I'm not. I prayerfully made the decision to stop taking malaria meds after some research showing that no one really knows the long term effects on the liver and other parts of the body, not to mention the expense. This felt like a right of passage, and I have now entered the local non-malaria-med community. Mom wanted me to take a more holistic approach, so we found some time-tested products from Australia... and we'll see how that goes, but anyone who is smart about wearing the proper clothing, sleeping under a mozzy net and carries a canister of bug spray, should be protected.

But I'm not afraid for another reason...

Last week I came to work and sad down with our chef, Eric, who quietly told me he was coming down with Malaria, would probably be going home soon, then off to the hospital. A lot of local people have a spat of malaria once a year. It's a parasite that gets into your blood, and stays there unless treated. Well, I know the Jesus is a great cure-all so I asked if I could pray for him.

As I was praying I got the sense that he was going to experience all the malaria symptoms, and then be healed. (This is what happens when one undergoes treatment.) Sure enough, he was suddenly very hot, and sat down. I ran off to get some water and when I returned he was completely better! He said he felt an intense heat all over his body (more than the usual dry-season hot room sweat) and then everything left his body! Praise Jesus!

This week he is at work which is awesome because the conference centre is extremely busy and we needed him here. My faith was encouraged as this is the first time I've prayed for a disease and it left.

So I'm not afraid of malaria...

But if the blood bug should ever get me, the first person I'm calling is the one I know has faith to see me instantly healed.

2 comments:

  1. Hey OPS - I think you've a made a well-informed decision. I know missionaries who get malaria once a year and some that never get it. Some take malarial meds and some don't. Those that don't take their meds don't get it but there are many who aren't infected who don't take the meds.

    Love the story of God in action. Thanks for taking the time to encourage your readers by the retelling

    ReplyDelete