Wednesday 5 August 2009

Redefining the Grid

Everyone has a grid by which the perceptions of ‘normal’ are based. My grid is evolving. For example, in the USA, a ‘normal road’ consists of wide streets, typically enough for 2 lanes in each direction, each person sticking to the right side of the road. When I moved to England ‘normal’ was redefined as narrow roads where everyone shares the middle but tries to be as far left as possible. Now… normal roads mean bumpy, no speed limits, and very much like playing a video game but rather than running over bananas and such to gain points, I must suppress the increasing temptation to knock over the bicycle overflowing with bananas and remember that I will not hear the Mario Kart “Baaaalllliiinnnggg” if I happen to knock it over. Such fun but no game…

Today another grid was altered. It involved a dead car battery, 2 wrenches (“spanners” for the UK audience), and one super handy conference center driver. My housemate’s car was dead. Charles was quick to say ‘no problem’ and ran off to grab 2 wrenches. He proceeded to remove the battery from a functioning vehicle, held the battery while touching the two wrenches + to + and – to – and ordered me to cranked up the vehicle. I was terrified that he would be zapped by the current; alas, Africa innovation circumvents my Western safety procedures. I was highly amused by event and learned a new way to start a car!

No comments:

Post a Comment